creamy pesto pasta.
Delicious vegetarian lasagna with plenty of cheese and cream, veggies, and some roasted almonds and breadcrumbs on top to give it some textural variety. Serve with some garlic bread for some delicious, delicious carb overload. ;)
Makes 4-6 servings. Takes about 30 minutes to prep and cook.
- 2 tbsp. mascarpone cheese. If you can't find that, mix together:
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese.
- 1 tbsp. sour cream.
- a good splash of heavy whipping cream.
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream.
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated.
- ½ lb. sweet peppers, thinly sliced into rings.
- ½ lb. grape tomatoes, halved.
- 5 oz. baby spinach.
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced.
dry & canned goods.
- ⅓ cup basil pesto.
- ¼ cup sliced roasted almonds.
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs.
- 1 lb. some fancy-pants curly pasta.
- crushed red pepper flakes.
- Boil some salted water in a large pot.
- Wash and dry the produce.
- Cut off the stems of the sweet peppers and remove the seeds.
- Thinly slice the peppers into rings.
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Peel and chop 2 cloves of garlic.
- mix the mascarpone substitute if you need to.
boil the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water.
- Cook the pasta about 10 minutes, until al dente.
- When the pasta's done: turn off the heat, save ½ cup of the pasta water, and drain the rest. Leave the pasta in the pot.
roast the almonds & breadcrumbs.
- In a large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium-high.
- Add the almonds, breadcrumbs, and some salt and pepper.
- Cook the almonds & breadcrumbs for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer them to a bowl and wipe out the pan.
cook the veggies.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan, heat it on medium-high.
- Add the sliced peppers and salt and pepper.
- Cook the peppers 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the halved tomatoes, chopped garlic, some red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper.
- Cook the vegetables another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
combine and serve.
- Turn off the heat, put the vegetables into the pot of cooked pasta.
- Add the spinach, cream, and half of the pasta water to the cooked pasta.
- Cook on medium-high for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat. Add in the pesto and mascarpone and stir.
- Serve the pasta garnished with grated parmesan and the roasted almonds.